Euro Hockey League Round 1.2: Glynhill Hotel Kelburne 3-1 AHTC Wien.

Kelburne bounced back from their drubbing at the hands of Rot Weiss with a hard earned, but well deserved win over AHTC Wien.

In a keenly contested game the Scottish side were well worth their win, creating the majority of the chances and working the Wien goalkeeper Lukas Graser on a number of occasions.

Wien actually took the lead. Kelburne’s Chris Nelson turned the ball over in his own half and Dominik Monghy broke through before feeding Adam Amtmanski who calmly rolled the ball into the net beyond the advancing goalkeeper.

Kelburne got back on level terms in the same quarter as a hard hit cross from Mark Ralph was deflected beautifully through the legs and into the goal by William Marshall.

Deflections seemed to be a deliberate ploy by the Scottish side as they went close with another one through Jack McAllister, whilst Ralph was denied by a good save from Graser off a penalty corner.

In the opening moments of the second quarter Phillip Schmidt was all alone in the Kelburne D but he could not beat Mark Fulton with his slapped effort.

Ralph was still unable to get the better Graser as the Wien goalkeeper repelled two more penalty corners.

Gerald Netal had an effort comfortably cleared by Fulton as Wien struggled to get a foothold in the game.

With the Scottish side dominating the first half they came out for the third quarter and picked up where they left off. Michael Christie made a splendid run down the right and crossed for Alan Forsyth who couldn’t miss and made it 2-1.

Dominik Monghy had a great chance to equalise immediately but his deflection went over the top. Ben Peterson, scorer against Rot Weiss could have grabbed his second of the weekend but somehow scooped the ball over with the goal gaping and Graser nowhere to be seen.

Peterson was almost made to rue that as Jakob Schwarz missed a good chance to tie the game up as the quarter drew to a close.

Wien came out in the fourth quarter desperate to restore parity. Thomas Binder couldn’t quite reach the ball as he dived full length to get a touch, Fulton cleared and the danger was averted.

With Wien pushing on trying to get an equaliser gaps were starting to appear at the back.  Michael Bremner almost exploited these but Graser smothered his run and did well to clear. In the 65th minute Kelburne wrapped the game up. A wonderful run into the D by Forsyth, whose cross was not dealt with by Graser, allowing Jonathan Christie to score the third.

Kelburne almost put the gloss on the score as Forsyth played in Peterson but Graser made a fantastic save, moving across the goal and diving to keep the effort out, showing incredible agility.

That was the last big chance and Kelburne were happy to run the clock down knowing they have given themselves a great chance to qualify from this pool. Wien will have to produce something special against Rot Weis Koln tomorrow if they are to make the next stage.

About thetopofthed

Columnist for The Hockey Paper and the man behind The Top of the D. Writer, podcaster, goalkeeper and BBC Sport man. Used to work for Great Britain Hockey and have covered the sport at every major tournament.
This entry was posted in Euro Hockey League. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Euro Hockey League Round 1.2: Glynhill Hotel Kelburne 3-1 AHTC Wien.

  1. S.A.S. NAQVI says:



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s